Crimson CHOW Challenge #51 - The Bone Weaver
(05-02-2024, 07:01 AM)TrashPanda Wrote: Here is a rough first ideation of the concept. 
I plan to develope some type of spiritual character.
I am not 100% convinced with the idea of a smoke cone and tribal tattoos.

Slight Tangent - it reminds me of a Book series, Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Similar magic if not aesthetic, they capture souls in incense burners over the battlefield of the fallen, then reanimate/create new forms for the souls using Bone and Gemstone to conjure. 

(05-06-2024, 10:35 AM)Damien Levs Wrote: Ok...here's a start. This is quite a daunting task, but, there's no getting better without doing. So...here's my reference and some very rough sketches for the idea. 

Yas my fellow found-line friend - although I would suggest restraining the urge to erase and instead increase tone as you sketch - use an eraser to chisel into forms for highlights or negative space. Erasing in broad areas leaving all lines really pale can make it hard to distinguish form, and in traditional media, it even leaves a residue on the page I found, making it difficult to then build value.  Please come back with moar lines. 

(05-06-2024, 12:49 PM)CBinnsIllustration Wrote: So I had a lot of fun with mine this weekend mostly due to having some nice free time with both kids being at a weekend camp. :) so I decided to go for a book cover format for my Necromancer Owl/Bone Weaver to tell a bit more story , still got some elements I want to play around with on this one. But sharing progress so far.

Smart with the Book Cover layout! That's a double portfolio piece to look forward to.

I do like how you've included the ambient light from the torch - I know it's still early stages so I just hope to see some more atmospheric light and texture to the environment. 

-

I have had a stretch of insomnia and my eyes are bloodshot so I'm calling it a day - I have to jump back into another job later so here's what I have for now. I have to edit in some distortion to dramatize the form a bit more. I am planning for a background with a Bone creature to frame her in, so it will probably be more landscape format. 

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida

Messages In This Thread
RE: CHOW Challenge #51 WIP: The Bone Weaver - by RottenPocket - 05-09-2024, 08:01 PM