How I stopped worrying and learned to love AI - Kinda.....
Hi Daggers.  After I posted this I overlooked checking in on it and am VERY pleased to see the discussion here and especially that almost all of you have come to the same conclusions I have about AI.

To clarify my title comes from a twist on the old movie How I Stopped Worrying And Learned to Love The Bomb an absurd dark comedy about the total destruction of the world with nuclear bombs.  

Don't read this next line if you haven't seen the movie yet because it contains a SPOILER:

As the US and USSR begin releasing their arsenals of massive bombs that will ultimately destroy everyone — all the main characters are all still worried about mundane things like their cherished positions and ranks, and gaming each other's countries etc.

-------------------------

I see the AI revolution in the same way — it will ultimately destroy much of the market for trained artists.  When agencies and publishers can hire interns to create with a few lines and prompts AI for images — most will never hire senior artists again or severely limit those positions.  There go jobs people have worked a lifetime for.

------------------------

I found that crazy AI thang where the guy was challenging to make crazier and crazier images.  You can see how simple the prompts were — so this idea that it takes some kind of skill to make an AI image is intellectually dishonest or uninformed IMO.

This one is from someone who claims to just be experimenting with AI after seeing the above images:

Found the following on ArtStation under AI images - I admit these MAY have required more understanding of the software but these completely blew me away.

Note the hands — and it seems they've pretty much solved that problem AI had for a while with hands.

There are a lot more but I'll just post one more

This guy simply asked Copilot to create mythological creatures - That simple prompt gave him TWELVE IN TOTAL

There's a museum now that can turn simple drawings into animated animals and incorporate them into an interactive real-time video.

------------------------

Anyway, my original thought about this topic is that real artists will continue to create because that's what we do.

It's hard enough to scratch out a living with art otherwise — but AI will just make it even harder — and once I accepted (and others of you have as well) that all true artists will just continue making art no matter what AI does to the market.

I can still hate it though.................

[/my thoughts]

Messages In This Thread
RE: How I stopped worrying and learned to love AI - Kinda..... - by Jephyr - 05-30-2024, 12:29 PM