Working towards consistency
Thanks one_two!

Darktiste, I looked at the channel you recommend and his course seems extremely complete! I agree with his approach, and it's rare to see observation drawing put at the start. But I don't have the time to start everything over. I'll keep an eye on it. Merci ;)

Lillen, I was offered a Windsor and newton six color travel set and trained one year with that. I bought an empty Sennelier box recently and completed it with a lot of new colors, recommended in the book I use as reference...
I bought from several labels because none had all of the colors I needed. Mostly Windsor and Sennelier though.
It was a huge expense... But reasonably it's possible to buy one color a month and complete your set little by little, given than the six colors I had at the beginning were enough to do interesting work...
I tried buying it in tube as well, a watercolor teacher told me one tube can last many years contrary to other types of paint that are consumed more quickly.
I haven't been able to use it much yet ugh...
I'll try to make it worth it!

------------

1. Drawabox.
I'm at the second perspective exercice. You have to draw by hand and by guessing the one point perspective of your boxes, then check it using red. You "ghost" the lines to try to put the points at the right place but that's not enough to get it well.
This exercice feels like hell. I remembered finding it hard and understanding new things in my first run (2016...) but it's really tough. I have two pen grips, my original one and one I tried to develop to draw better. I went back to the first here because it's stiffer but more confident... And because since then they published a video discouraging to change your grip. 
I have done all the markmaking exercices and I redo them a little as warm ups, but I am not mastering them at all. It's actually my first and main weakness. My lines are usually messy, I have a bad habit of redoing them twice or three time for no reason, and I used to draw first, at random, and think and correct later. So slowing down and deciding before is an habit I absolutely need to develop.
Couple that with imprecision... My wrist and hand hurt and the lines still suck lol. And I just did one of the three today.

I like drawabox because I got that shock of "you're doing it all wrong!" and "this is what's been blocking me all those years" coupled with "they explain the basis that everyone else but me seemed to get right away".
Eye and hand coordination - sense of detail - good grasp on space... etc.
You can put yourself down all the time and still be surprised when you realize your level is below what you thought...
But I'm not super negative about this, I've known for years and it's good to have a huge margin for progress.
The problem is that it's so abstract and I don't want to fall into the habit of "I'm like a beginner so I'll wait until I'm good to do my projects". Then train slowly and never get there. I need to create right away, and also train myself to become better. But creation is more important because you also get better while creating...
I'm worried about using training as a way to procrastinate. And overall about my lack of time to achieve what I want to do.

Here is the first of what I hope to become a series of studies from masters of manga/comics...
I just finished it by adding the text, but I had started it in June.
It's from the manga Barbara by Moto Hagio.

Original :

My goal was to learn how to use inking pens: I used a "maru" one there, a short stiff pen that allows for very small detail, often associated with shoujo manga. I had 3 incidents where a drop of ink ruined the face of a character... T_T
While drawing it I realized how lively and expressive the posing of the characters are. Lot of strengh, weight and dynamic lines. The style is a bit retro so you can feel the Tezuka behind. Also she draws curly hair which you rarely see in manga I feel.
I did not have the original when I inked the last page from my sketch so it's less in her style.
I'm pretty happy for a first study but I also feel it's already too old and I haven't drawn enough of my own on the side to apply what I'm learning.

Messages In This Thread
Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-06-2024, 06:42 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-06-2024, 07:26 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by darktiste - 08-06-2024, 07:33 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Jephyr - 08-08-2024, 12:41 PM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Tribulator - 08-10-2024, 03:15 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-12-2024, 12:54 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-18-2024, 07:29 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by one_two - 08-18-2024, 07:31 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by darktiste - 08-18-2024, 10:37 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Lillen - 08-19-2024, 01:55 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-21-2024, 08:05 AM