Intentional design vs. Subconscious convention
(11-17-2013, 12:16 AM)Psychotime Wrote:
(11-16-2013, 02:09 PM)Beeston Wrote: You could also look back to the old masters and assume to some degree that those works weren't created under as much pressure and therefore all their decisions of what to put in the piece, what to leave out, what shapes they chose, etc. Were carefully controlled, vs a fast and production line style of design.

You sure about that? Where's that coming from?

Feng Zhu videos for example? Well, old masters definitely did client job but they didn't have to make concept art for example in 2-4 hours.
As mentioned before, I think old masters were great nature obsevers. Very precise and accurate. Did a lot of studies. This is where all the design came from probably. We tend to think of many things as an issue and solve problems by searching for ready-made solutions. It may sound funny but for me, most knowledge about color and light came from... painting fruits, cuttlery, etc. from nature. I tried to cope with those things by searching for tutorials, coping colors from other people work but I never got the essence in this way. I kind of got around, never understood why the things are the way they are.

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

BombMy Sketchbook (critique welcome)Bomb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intentional design vs. Subconscious convention - by kerm - 11-17-2013, 07:58 AM