Nerds, dorks and other geeky kinds.
Quote:Thats interesting about schizophrenia being linked to artists. I have a friend who's a writer who was editing a book written by a guy from Switzerland who has full blown schizophrenia. He was diagnosed with a minor case of it but he decided to take lots of LSD in order to increase the disorder. LSD is known to damage the temporal lobe of the brain which is what causes schizophrenia. Anyways the guy thinks hes the last descendant of a group of witch hunters, has psychic powers and that all women are plotting to destroy mankind... yeeeea

My friend the writer who also has done a LOT of LSD in the past, decided in order to increase his creative writing skills took large amounts of LSD in order to make himself schizophrenic... not a good idea. I dont believe creativity is caused by temporal lobe damage. It seems to be true that people with schizophrenia have very creative delusions but I dont think they've found some magic key to intense creativity. Its a horrible disorder and ruins peoples lives. There are much healthier ways to stimulate creativity and I dont condone anyone attempting to induce it.

That's true, schizophrenia is one of more serious psychoses - which are often irreparable, hereditary and/or a product of/accompanied by some form of actual physical or chemical trauma to the brain and generally have the common denominator as being the points of no return, in a sense they are only suppressed and not cured, however mild a specific case might be - however, my post wasn't about schizophrenia:) Both terms have the same root word, but that's about it. Schizoid is often a description for a mild tendency and is, in most cases, on a level where it serves more as a neutral description of one's personality rather than describing the closeness to some disorder or another. Like, for example, "lazy" or "melancholic". Of course, there are various degrees to it, as with everything. It might sound scary because of the "schizo" part, but schizo simply means "split" or "fissure", which isn't scary per se and for example, it's present in the term "schizocarp" which is something from biology/botany, about fruits or something like that:)

Keep calm and get in the robot

My sketchbook

Messages In This Thread
Nerds, dorks and other geeky kinds. - by Rognoll - 11-01-2013, 02:18 AM
RE: Nerds, dorks and other geeky kinds. - by Doolio - 01-12-2014, 01:32 PM