Photoshop VS everything else
I don't know if this has been discussed in the past ... tried to search for it without much success , if it has been , please let me know.

Everywhere I look .. the top program I see that is being used by most 2D visual artists (I'd go as far as to say 90%) is Adobe Photoshop.

My question is .. why ?

Is it like some sort of brand that exists in the same way cars/clothes/whatever else brands exist that don't necessarily have to provide the best quality ? (not saying it doesn't ... just saying it doesn't have to do that ... Example: Bought a pair of "nameless" sneakers that lasted me a lot longer, looked better and were way cheaper than a pair of Nike sneakers)

Is it just a habit that everyone got into ? That meaning that it might have been one of the first successful programs of this type and from that point on everyone has kept using it and passing it on in a "from generation to generation" manner ?

From what I've searched so far I found out that there are certain programs that have better line quality than PS (example: Paint tool Sai , Manga studio ...) and also other programs that are particularly better at painting (example: Corel Painter). The examples here are based on opinions of others which sometimes might be subjective so those also need some sort of confirmation ... I can only account for a tiny bit of MS.

Or is it just really that good ? The "powerhouse" ?

Now some of you might say that it's really just a matter of "Go with whatever you like" or "Use the one that advantages you the most". While I agree with that completely ... I have to bring in front the issue that I've started the post with. I not only see it everywhere ... but it seems like it is a requirement everywhere.

Now I don't know about industry ... but I've certainly seen photoshop specifically required in certain online workshops. Workshops that didn't require painting or some specific advanced tools that can be found only in photoshop.

Was it just the fact that the teachers themselves were only familiar with photoshop or was it something else ? What if the industry goes by that same rule ?

Personally I'd like to know more about this in an objective manner. Perhaps I'm overthinking this .. still ... I feel like it needs to be talked about. Thank you !

Messages In This Thread
Photoshop VS everything else - by Adrian - 11-12-2014, 07:32 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Caisne - 11-12-2014, 08:38 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Lyraina - 11-12-2014, 09:13 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Amit Dutta - 11-12-2014, 09:52 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Madzia - 12-15-2014, 07:33 AM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Bookend - 12-18-2014, 10:57 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Chris P - 12-20-2014, 08:39 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Farvus - 12-26-2014, 09:30 PM