Photoshop VS everything else
I used Gimp for 3 years. No issues, did everything I could do in PS.
I am now transitioning to Krita which has an awesome brush engine and is more PS-like
MyPaint is a good Painter equivalent.

Why these over PS?

Principle. I like the open source model over the commercial capitalism model. It is a model founded on passion and the common good, rather than selfishness and greed. Oh yeah, and it's free! It has never held me back in the slightest.

I also used Linux as my OS after ditching Windows out of pure frustration, and hating Mac even more for their terrible proprietary stance. Basically while I believe any tool is just that, a tool, we can make choices about the world we live in and because that shapes the world it becomes, I choose to not support profit over passion as a rule.

Hell, half the reason we struggle as artists is because passion seems to have no real value in today's world, and to survive we have to monetise the shit out of everything we do in order to feel worthy.

Yes PS is an awesome product no doubt, but their main motivation is profit, no two ways about it. They just happen to be the monopoly share of the painting software world due to being around for ever. It's not that hard to pick up quickly if needs be if you need to work in a studio.

Your choice. Go with the majority, or take a stance. Either doesn't matter at all (except to your wallet) if all you care about is to have a tool to paint with. :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
Photoshop VS everything else - by Adrian - 11-12-2014, 07:32 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Caisne - 11-12-2014, 08:38 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Lyraina - 11-12-2014, 09:13 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Amit Dutta - 11-12-2014, 09:52 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Madzia - 12-15-2014, 07:33 AM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Bookend - 12-18-2014, 10:57 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Chris P - 12-20-2014, 08:39 PM
RE: Photoshop VS everything else - by Farvus - 12-26-2014, 09:30 PM