JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Art44 Thanks man! Definitely Scott Robertson's 'How to Draw', if you don't have it already it's an absolute must for perspective - it has absolutely everything you need. I've started it three times now but determined to finish it finally. The first couple of times it was all so new and it's really complex that I missed a lot of the finer points and got confused and distracted by other things. He also has a Gnomon Workshop video, that is a kind of crash course through the first half of the book - but what he does on that video which he doesn't focus on as much in the book is drawing freehand perspective grids with vanishing points that are off the page, just eyeballing it and drawing them quickly, and adding other guidelines to that - which is a pretty important skill since you aren't practically going to draw a complete 100% accurate grid for every drawing. Definitely those would be my recommendations, there are other books but his approach is pretty comprehensive and adaptable. He also has tons of free tutorials on his youtube channel (and the book has a lot of accompanying videos that you access through a website as well). Best of luck man!

Devoting some more time to heads to practice some of Suira's suggestions, not sure if I understood it all right but I'm trying to really look at the faces and map out the planes, paying attention to shadow shapes and whether things are turned up or down. It's pretty challenging for me but I really feel like I'm learning stuff, the faces feel more 3D as well.

[Image: T9H7wsU.jpg]

[Image: zOgWSxo.jpg]

[Image: VHtvRv5.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 01-12-2015, 01:46 AM