What makes a good study (need a bit of help)
If you are trying to get into anatomy, I wouldn't start with doing full detailed re-drawings of models, but rather start with gestures. Well, this isn't a new tip but it works. try sites like:
http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
start with quick drawings, like only 30 seconds per picture and just try to captrue the general shapes. You will notice that after a time it gets easier. then try one minute, then two minutes. Also, again an old tip: try reading the Loomis book about anatomy - then try some gestures, but instead of drawing the personl, draw how you think the skeleton is positined.
You should not simply redraw what you see, but also understand some of the principles that lie beneath. also, if you simply redraw the possibility is high that you draw less what you see, but more what you think something should look like. You should always look more at the reference than your paper/ screen. Btw, try out doing studies with pencil and paper - it is probably still more natural, and might help you with your line problem.

Really detailed studies are more used if you try to study a special surface, or color scheme, or lighting.

Hope this helps, I am still much of a newbie myself struggling with studies :D

Messages In This Thread
RE: What makes a good study (need a bit of help) - by Saraiza - 06-20-2012, 07:30 PM