donJonSwan and Mr. Toodles thread
This might not be helpful, but I was looking at your screenshot from The Thing, I pulled it into photoshop and noticed you're using a lot of pure black in your images. Generally try to keep total black and white for areas that you want focus to be on.

Also, you're going for really saturated colours, sometimes a little desaturation can help. Also, going through your brushes and finding out what works for you. A 'snow' brush doesn't have to be used just for snow and same. Play with the brush settings and see what you come out with.

I did a little paint over and added in a little texture. Remember, you don't have to always be painting in the detail, it's nice to just hint at detail and let the human eye fill in the rest. I lightened up the coat, gave the background an overlay of a colder blue and then reduced the opacity down. With the fur around the neck, don't spend hoooours putting in every little hair, you'll be there forever. Look at where the light falls and where the shadows are. Shadow isn't black, it takes on colour of what is underneath it.

Please do forgive me if this is out of order! But it's only quick and I hope it helps a little :D

edit: Also, I just wanted to add that your sketchbook work is awesome, some really nice lines going on there! ^_^

Mr Toodles: if you don't have them already, have a look at the loomis books too for figures: http://alexhays.com/loomis/
Try to use larger confident brush strokes! :D There was an imagine FX pdf floating around somewhere for anatomy and a vipplu one for gesture drawing. See if you can get your hands on those! :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: donJonSwan and Mr. Toodles thread - by Laura_H - 09-05-2012, 04:54 AM
RE: donJonSwan and Mr. Toodles thread - by DK - 09-09-2012, 09:54 PM