Freelance explanation
I agree with the others.

Vandall is spot on, you can find the time if you're motivated even with a full time job...it just burns you out like anything! I did it for 8 months....40hr job, 4 hrs study a day and more on weekends, slept on average 5 hrs a night. Not healthy, don't recommend it, but doable.
Atrenr is absolutely right on many points too.

I had a look at your sketchbook, and I'd say you're probably a fair way away from making enough money to support yourself on freelance alone. Maybe even a couple of years depending on how hard you hammer the study and how quickly you learn.

It sounds like you are focused on getting the time to put in the work which is good, but I suspect you're thinking in terms of fast tracking what is in reality a very long journey. It will take years. Instead of thinking in extremes and absolutes, I actually think your parent's idea of a PT job is a good compromise. It also gives you some cash (which you should use for emergencies, a bit of fun and to contribute a token something to your parents for their troubles...they will appreciate it even if it's a gesture more than anything substantial!).

Can you maybe try and negotiate with work to let you go away for some time unpaid, and hammer the study during that time before you go back. (I just did this myself, and am about to start my 3 months intensive in a week!)

As for your parents sometimes the best way to convince someone is for them to meet/see people who are freelance professionals and have actual conversations with them about the idea and the job itself; it may ease their mind, or may not, depends on your parents. I'm not sure that only you explaining to them that you have what it takes is ever going to be that successful. They need reassurance from external parties. Perhaps you could arrange for them to meet online with and ask their questions to Dan or Dave or any other professional full time freelancers that you may be able to arrange a connect with?

Anyway I hope that helps a bit? Whatever you do keep us updated!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
Freelance explanation - by Cj_marsh - 01-27-2013, 08:31 AM
RE: Freelance explanation - by Vandall - 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM
RE: Freelance explanation - by atrenr - 01-27-2013, 09:40 AM
RE: Freelance explanation - by Amit Dutta - 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
RE: Freelance explanation - by Cj_marsh - 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM
RE: Freelance explanation - by Vandall - 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM