Zombie Boss Concept- any finishing tips/ideas?
(03-13-2013, 01:19 PM)ChantalFournier Wrote: I don't want to micromanage something that isn't even my job, so take this with a grain of salt but normally concept artists don't do concepts for GUI. That's the UI designer's job because UI design is a specialty that concept artists are not trained for. It's graphic design crossed with ergonomics and often has very little to do with illustration (unless you do like Diablo where the mana counters was stashed in bottles and stuff like that, but even then, most UI design was not illustration.) So if you are working on a mod or an indie game or something like that, it might be a good idea to mimic a normal work structure for future reference :)

Yes I agree, it really isnt the average role for a concept artist and I have asked the project lead to what extent does he want me to do it to, but what he wants is a theme and look (using a bit of ergonomics as you said) so that the UI designer has an idea of what style to do it in. Perhaps the whole thing itself should be down to him/her, but I've discussed it with the project lead and thats what he'd like me to do and seeing as ive done a bit of graphic design before its not too uncomfortable for me. Mimicing a normal work structure is a good idea for sure, I am trying to keep it as much within my 'role' as possible but there are always one or two things he wants that are out of it to some extent.
Thanks, will bear that in mind in future :)

(03-13-2013, 04:35 PM)manlybrian Wrote: I just have a few things for future reference. It sounds like you did some thumbnails before this piece? If so, that's good, but you would have benefited from posting those here for critique before the final. That would have eliminated a lot of these problems (gesture, anatomy, composition, etc) before getting to this rendered stage where it's too late to make major changes. Get the kinks worked out in the sketching stage, THEN render.

Secondly, remember that concept art is supposed to be very visually telling about the character. You're suppose to be able to, at a glance, understand something about who the character is, what he is, have an idea of his background, etc. just by looking at him. For example, if you have to tell people it's a zombie holding a parking sign for them to get it, then you're doing it wrong. Show the sign! Show the zombiness! Show; don't tell! That's all I have for now. Smirk

On the plus sign, I like the idea. Bad guys hitting people with street signs is cool.

EDIT: Afterthought--Maybe you already thought of this, but on the pose, it never hurts to act it out yourself. Stick something heavy on the end of a pole and hold it on your shoulders. See how your body reacts to the off-centered weight. Then draw that.

Yes thanks, will certainly do that in the future so I dont have to rub out too much or get into too much of a pickle after rendering. Yes, I do need to make it a bit more obvious dont I? I didnt really know how to do that though, because im not sure that i want the sign part of it still attached, more just like a pole... maybe I will do a separate sketch of it as it was with the sign attached? Hm not sure, but thats definitely a good point thanks. Will do my best to get across the idea a bit better in future, because you are right that I shouldnt have to explain it as well as draw it, it should be all shown in the drawing. Thanks very much for the input, will certainly keep that in mind :D
Heh thanks, I wanted something believeable (ish...) but also bad ass and hammer-style. I thought if i have a massive hammer covered in chain and spikes people will ask 'where the hell did he get that' (ie in resident evil.... youve got ask where they get that stuff sometimes!!).
Cheers for the help :)

(03-12-2013, 06:10 PM)JabyReART Wrote: Hey Ward, I agree with Monkeybread, you shouldnt take your rendering so far until you are not so sure, get a grip on your anatomy and posture language.
I did another paintover of your design, mostly posture, leaving the arm in a more natural position, adding some ripping to the gloves, bruishes on the knees and elbows, blood in the boots and some flesh on the waist near the ripoff of the ribs, closing more the legs and downsizing the boot...I thinks thats all. Keep working! :)

Yes you are completely right, will do that next time for sure so I dont get caught up like this again! You are awesome, been really really helpful, his left arm always looked a bit forced and awkward to me but I didnt know how else i could do it without looking awkward also, but youve solved that well, thanks. The boots were way to clean, you are right there, didnt realise they were too big but you are most likely right there also, i dont want him looking like a clown! That rip off is essential, completely forgot about where the hell his waist went! That makes it look a lot better thanks, will edit it now, great ideas and paintover thanks very much for the time spent on this! Much appreciated :D

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zombie Boss Concept- any finishing tips/ideas? - by JabyReART - 03-12-2013, 01:06 AM
RE: Zombie Boss Concept- any finishing tips/ideas? - by JabyReART - 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM
RE: Zombie Boss Concept- any finishing tips/ideas? - by Wardy - 03-14-2013, 11:37 PM
RE: Zombie Boss Concept- any finishing tips/ideas? - by manlybrian - 03-13-2013, 04:35 PM