So... am I entry level? What am I...?
Sad 
Hey there, I've got a question and was wondering if anyone could help me out :)

I'd love to commit to concept art as a career, and I think I would enjoy working within a games company.

I was reading the advice posted by Edge magazine on careers (found here) and I saw one piece of advice they give is never to apply for anything other than your current level of experience.... for example, if you're a recent graduate, it's best to apply for internships or entry level jobs.

Now here's my conundrum... I did indeed graduate from an animation degree course...six years ago! And since then, I have done lots of small freelance jobs, which do involve doing concept work, however nothing in an actual company in an industrial environment. I've also done a lot of freelance graphic design pieces (portfolio is here if anyone is curious). Mostly I work day jobs like many other artists, to keep myself and family fed.

So.... should I be applying for entry level jobs only...? I mean, I suppose I have very little to put on my CV really except for my small bits of freelance illustrations which are nothing to sing about.

Entry level jobs seem to be far and few between... though I am keeping a sharp eye out. I'm living in Ireland so I'm mostly focusing on the uk :)

Also, if anyone wants to crit my portfolio, you can tell me how weak it is for concept art, don't worry, I won't be offended, I just want to get better :)

Thak you! Also sorry that was super long ;___;

Messages In This Thread
So... am I entry level? What am I...? - by Grace_Elizabeth - 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM