Do degrees matter?
I believe having a degree shows something more than just being good at your craft. It shows you can commit to something most do not have the patience for. It shows you can work hard to achieve your goal even when the scenario is not optimal. I have experienced hiring artists who are self taught and 90% of them have a difficult time working in a team environment. They tend to exert force when they have to compromise their own vision for the good of the project. This is obviously a problem when working on a project that already has a vision cast. Only about 40% of those with a degree pose such a problem. This helps increase the odds that you will find someone who is able to do the job without bringing a lot of drama. Good team work builds good friendships that last much longer than a project. But drama tends to compromise the team and the vision.

Also, not all degree programs help equip one in their chosen field. I personally had a difficult time adjusting to my career as a concept artist, because, much like you I had been educated in animation. Animation can have a positive effect on an illustration but perhaps not as much so for a concept designer. Feng Zhu discusses the differences here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVji_fi...CjCsjAGFAA

Either way, I believe you should either hop over to a school that focuses on concept design or illustration and see if some of your current units transfer. Or finish out your current program then supplemental your education after you graduate. Having a degree in-and-of-itself is worthless. Being skilled in your desired field and having a degree will broaden your opportunities... especially as you get started. But having skill in your field without a degree will limit your opportunities significantly. The only time, and this is very very rare, that I have seen an artist without a degree make it without a lot of heartache and disappointment is if he/she was a prodigy with a natural team player mindset. So, if you by chance are one of those rare cases then you may be able to bypass all this junk and begin working as a valued member of society in your field of passion. As I said though, prodigies are rare. And a prodigy that is not full of himself is even rarer.

Anyhoo, this is of course my opinion. There are always exceptions to the rule but I consider those exceptions to be like movie stars. There are very few of them and most of it was luck (Being in the right place at the right time; when all the stars align.)

And please take my words with a grain of salt. These are just things I have picked up over the years. I hope it helps with your choice. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Take care.

Messages In This Thread
Do degrees matter? - by giantwood - 04-19-2013, 01:18 AM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by Kitsune - 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by giantwood - 04-19-2013, 12:53 PM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by Craig Paton - 04-20-2013, 05:37 AM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by Turpentine Jones - 04-20-2013, 07:02 AM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by giantwood - 04-21-2013, 03:53 AM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by JonHop - 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by JCdied4me - 05-21-2013, 09:30 AM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by Jeremy Ray - 08-23-2015, 11:03 AM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by EduardoGaray - 05-21-2013, 06:22 PM
RE: Do degrees matter? - by JCdied4me - 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM