Two-Character Illustration Critique
Hey, that's a really awesome start you've made. I think you've gone too detailed too quickly, there are a couple of proportion/anatomy things that need tweaking. I did a paintover for you.

[Image: tallpose_rough_paintover_by_misslillyart-d6bg3zs.jpg]

There doesn't seem to be a light source and all of the values seem to be quite similar, a way to check this is making the piece greyscale, it's easier to define light and shade and create contrast, the characters don't really stand out from the background and it looks quite flat. I made the background a bit darker and added some shadows to the character, but this could be pushed even further with darker shadows.

The child didn't seem to be looking anywhere in particular, sort of staring off into the middle distance, also where are they pointing? I think you should either add something in, or don't have them pointing. At the moment the piece just looks like two characters standing in a forest, take their back story into consideration, who are they? Why are they there? Maybe you could have them interacting.

I really love you mecha samurai character, that is a really sweet design but I think you need to be careful with the anatomy, I know he's a giant robot and is rather stylised, but I think his arms are a tad long and his feet and head are a tad small.

I'd recommend doing some thumbnails to sort out the composition a bit, I didn't realise the guy was giant until I saw the child and he's covering up the rocks behind him (not sure if they're important or not?)

Sorry, this turned out longer than I planned. It's a good start, I'd love to see it progress (:

Messages In This Thread
Two-Character Illustration Critique - by SaidTheJoker - 07-01-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by MissLillyArt - 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by SaidTheJoker - 07-02-2013, 06:24 AM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by SaidTheJoker - 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by SaidTheJoker - 07-08-2013, 01:49 AM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by SaidTheJoker - 07-11-2013, 02:38 AM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by SaidTheJoker - 07-12-2013, 05:05 AM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by SaidTheJoker - 07-16-2013, 12:15 PM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by SaidTheJoker - 11-10-2013, 10:37 AM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by SaidTheJoker - 11-16-2013, 07:21 AM
RE: Two-Character Illustration Critique - by meat - 11-16-2013, 08:31 AM