need some help on my studies
hey guys, I've been practicing everyday, focusing on portraits, and I am obviously not good yet, but making steady progress.

I just did this photostudy of a man's face, and while it is a big improvement from my previous face photostudies (finally fixed some brush setting issues) it is lacking vibrancy. The whole area seems like it is in diffuse light, and the forms aren't clearly defined. I tried to punch up the contrast, but then it starts to seem like there are lines around where the value changes instead of transitions.

For this second one, I tried to do a checkpoint to see how much I have learned, and did an imagination face. I know there's a bunch of anatomical issues with this one, but I included it to show you what I mean, on the dark side of the face, the shadow forms what I think looks like an unnatural border.

Also would appreciate some tips about how to avoid this artificial smoothness that always happens when I try to draw from imagination.

If you decide to leave a comment or paintover (even a quick one without explanation would be great) thanks a lot! I've been working hard but I can't seem to get over this without an example.

Messages In This Thread
need some help on my studies - by poyo - 08-15-2013, 01:26 PM
RE: need some help on my studies - by ruffledo - 08-17-2013, 03:35 PM
RE: need some help on my studies - by Wardy - 08-17-2013, 11:54 PM
RE: need some help on my studies - by poyo - 08-20-2013, 04:05 AM