Am I on the right path?
Hey guys,
I have to ask you for your help. I 'finished' this painting today and I'm quite insecure with it. What I had in mind was a atmospheric scenery with a mysterious mood. I got some critique that I don't have any storytelling in it or just incomplete storytelling. But what I tried to accomplish is, that the viewer would create his own story just by the 'hints' and the mood I give him.

I mean, I can see the point of this critique. It's a chick in fancy armor in front of a cathedral-thingy building.
I'm really kind of lost now. How can I get this painting to be what I want it to be. I just don't feel like giving my paintings a cheesy fantasy story like 'knight is killing orc' or sticking to this painting: That woman trys to mug someone or murder some evil dudes.

I've just come to the conclusion, that I have a picture of the impression and the quality of my paintings in mind which is nothing like reality. I guess I just don't archive at all what I thought I would. That's of course tough to realise, but it also motivates me.

Here's the painting I'm talking about:

So, could you give me any advice what to practice, what to focus on in the future. My goal at the moment is to one day paint for trading card games, video games, book covers and such stuff. Illustrations for presentation, not for concepts. I guess I'm more far away from this goal than I believed I was.

Sorry for getting a bit winy here. Haha. Don't take this as attention whoring, I really want your honest knockdown opinion. I'd be very glad if any of you could help me!

Cheers and good night! :)

Messages In This Thread
Am I on the right path? - by Art.ful - 08-30-2013, 10:44 AM
RE: Am I on the right path? - by ChantalFournier - 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM
RE: Am I on the right path? - by Elmst - 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM
RE: Am I on the right path? - by Mike086 - 09-01-2013, 10:11 AM