Critique / Help with colorizing
Hah, I never knew you were a guy! I think the problem with the nose is that it's quite long, and considering your heavy brow I would assume that there is a slight dent between the nose bridge and the forehead, even if it's subtle, that should show as very faint shading.

Regarding the color, I think looking at portraits of the old masters is a great suggestion. Having said that, I think it's also important to be as objective as possible with your color interpretation. Right now, looking at the colors you've used on your portrait, I think your color choices are influenced by what you think is right rather than accurate observation. That, and the fact that you used values first might have made things more complicated since now you have to battle with the way your software interprets the mix of color and value as well.

I don't think I've ever seen someone doing a still life or self portrait in greyscale first. It adds an unnecessary step, unless the very purpose of the exercise is to capture the values but in your case it isn't. If I were you I'd find a good/steady artificial light source and a large mirror and go straight into using colors so you train yourself to see them as they are.

Messages In This Thread
Critique / Help with colorizing - by opkluu - 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by Lhune - 10-10-2013, 10:53 PM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by opkluu - 10-11-2013, 07:00 AM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by Lhune - 10-11-2013, 09:50 PM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by opkluu - 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by Lhune - 10-17-2013, 03:46 AM