Critique / Help with colorizing
@Lhune

Haha, funny that you say that, since I'm trying to update my portfolio in order to get into art school. Since it's so expensive here in the USA, I'm really trying to impress the admissions agents and hopefully net myself a scholarship. I've heard a great many stories of the huge amount of debt artists cope with after going to a respectable art school. Therefore, it might just be the piece that decides my getting into art school.

I do understand what you mean, and I should definitely understand color. However, I'm trying to compile a portfolio to send in about a month, so I don't exactly have the time. I have lots of traditional pieces, and was suggested that I include more digital pieces, and color, so that's what I'm shooting for. I just fear that I'll fail and the piece won't reflect my best work...

However, your exercise looks great, fast, helpful, and a bit out of my comfort zone, a good thing. I'll try to make some over the course of the month I still have, and use those skills for my next paintings, but I still am most comfortable with the method I'm using, at least for grey scale. Regardless, thank you so much for your input! I remember the first time I saw your artwork on deviantart a couple of years ago, and marveled at it. You're actually a part of the large inspiration of artists that made me decide to try becoming a professional.

@Monkeybread

Thanks! I haven't yet, and after watching so many videos in which the artist usually does paint over in normal mode, I did attempt it.

Thanks for the tip! I softened up some of the edges farther away from the face, and in shadow. As for the eyes, another person recommended that I maybe add in some small, scattered highlights underneath the eye on the lid to create some contrast and add a little texture, which I will attempt after I take a little break from staring at this piece for hours at a time!

In this rendition I cooled down the shadows a bit, and tried to part from the monochromatic look I had before. Also I realized my eyes are not just green.

Messages In This Thread
Critique / Help with colorizing - by opkluu - 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by Lhune - 10-10-2013, 10:53 PM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by opkluu - 10-11-2013, 07:00 AM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by Lhune - 10-11-2013, 09:50 PM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by opkluu - 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by Lhune - 10-17-2013, 03:46 AM