Intentional design vs. Subconscious convention
This relates specifically to when you're studying the work of another artist. How do you know which elements of a composition are intentionally designed, and which are happy accidents? I notice in a lot of modern day production work, artists often incorporate conventions which save time or make clients happy on a deadline. You could also look back to the old masters and assume to some degree that those works weren't created under as much pressure and therefore all their decisions of what to put in the piece, what to leave out, what shapes they chose, etc. Were carefully controlled, vs a fast and production line style of design.

Did the artist choose to break the rule of thirds and the golden ratio? Why is this figure placed in this specific spot? Why is he looking out of the picture instead of inside? Did this artist choose a gamut of shapes or did they just draw whatever needed to be in there for narrative reasons? That's my thought process when analyzing a piece, and often I can't find answers to those questions, which means there's either a gap in my knowledge or there is no answer.

How do you guys study to understand the artist's thought process?

- JB

Messages In This Thread
Intentional design vs. Subconscious convention - by Beeston - 11-16-2013, 02:09 PM