Sketchbook & Progess Log - The journey is the reward!
These are some rocking drawings! Your figures look really solid and well-constructed, and I'm always happy to see someone here who likes drawing stylized stuff :D

If you want to get better at extreme poses and angles I'd recommend taking the pose you're drawing from and finding a way to exaggerate the action and perspective. I think that when we see angles in a pose we tend to naturally want to correct them, if something straight is kinda tilted we'd want to make it totally vertical and if it's almost leaning we'd want to make it perfectly horizontal. So when you notice an angle instead of straightening it up, make it more extreme! Try to find the main line of action of a pose and make it's curve even curvier!
Same goes for perspective, if we see some really dramatic foreshortening where the forearm is the same length as the whole rest of the body for example, our natural inclination is to make the forearm smaller because it looks more normal. But if you're not going for normal, force yourself to make the body even smaller instead!
I've found it very helpful to copy drawings of artist who draw exaggerated action really well, like Hiroyuki Imaishi or Frank Stockton, and then try to do the same drawing from my memory. Almost always, my memory drawing feels downright COWARDLY compared to how extreme the original artist was willing to go! You've got the technical SKILL to draw the figure well, now you need to develop enough BRAVERY to ignore your subconscious telling you to water down the angles and make a super exciting pose!
Hope that makes sense XD And hey, if you happen to run into any cool resources for learning about cloth and fashion please share it! I'd love to learn more about how that stuff works too.

Keep up the good work :D

Messages In This Thread
RE: The journey is the reward! Sketchbook & Progess Log - by Samszym - 01-20-2014, 02:00 AM