Gregory Mack Portfolio
(02-28-2014, 04:44 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: I've heard plenty of industry veterans say that what the bigger companies are looking for is the next big thing not someone who has the same style as an already established artists. If they want that style theyll hire the person whos known for it instead of someone whos mimicing them. Their advice is to develop your own style unique to you and that you love.

If you're just doing something because you think thats what people want to see based on whats already popular then thats the wrong reason. Marc Brunet said he got hired by Blizzard not because he was doing Blizzard style art but because he had a unique style that Blizzard wanted to incorporate into their brand and widen their appeal. Will Terrells recent video also talks about this. Check it out if you havnt seen it yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meAVI1WMs1g

Thank you so much for this fresh perspective, that video was really enlightening and literally addressed all my concerns and reminded me of WHY I paint.

If I could think of another perfect example of what Will and you described it would be another recent hire by Blizzard, MR--Jack.

He showed his vision of Starcraft units and other Blizzard properties with his style while the company had just begun development for SC2. He brought a new style to the company and a fresh look, because of that they sought him out and hired him.

This has helped me more than you can imagine and has got me pumped. Think I will start my sketchbook post soon to start putting all this knowledge to good use Insane, ecstatic

Messages In This Thread
Gregory Mack Portfolio - by jwcmack - 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM
RE: Gregory Mack Portfolio - by Rognoll - 02-26-2014, 10:09 AM
RE: Gregory Mack Portfolio - by jwcmack - 02-27-2014, 03:32 AM
RE: Gregory Mack Portfolio - by Adam Lina - 02-27-2014, 03:45 AM
RE: Gregory Mack Portfolio - by jwcmack - 02-28-2014, 03:57 AM
RE: Gregory Mack Portfolio - by Adam Lina - 02-28-2014, 04:44 AM
RE: Gregory Mack Portfolio - by jwcmack - 02-28-2014, 03:09 PM