Metabi's Sketchbook
Weekly update: I have a lot of stuff to show for this week!

[Image: BPHgCec.jpg]
I did polished flats for a sketch I really liked!

Here's the progress I've done this week on other polished pieces I'm working on:

[Image: vp58MWR.jpg]
Sorry for the odd length in this one. It's a piece related to a comic I want to make happen. I'm doing 3 different versions of it, one in detailed color and 2 simpler for experimentation on how I might render comic pages. So far I've only worked on the color version. Still don't know whether to go realistic or stylized for this comic but I may be leaning a bit more towards stylized because I can play more with emotions and facial expressions. (All my concept and design drawings are still realistic style though... XD ) I have some more drawing of this IP but don't really want to spam this sketchbook too much - and I'm also letting some things be surprises...

[Image: W9q1wiE.jpg]
[Image: a2Onyw1.jpg]
Another piece I'm working on, the first version shown is the rough colors and the second is part of a process experiment I'm doing where flat colors are laid all in one layer so that I just have to wand select at the time of painting and not need to worry about edges - that way painting is done in only one layer over the under-painting; this I also find a lot better than layer masks since whenever I do use them I always get lost searching through layers and painting on the wrong ones... I'm almost done with the flats and will get to start painting this week.

The setting for the above piece is based on my designs for a temple belonging to an old character of mine. I did a quick pencil sketch and mouse color of the character on a day I wanted to paint but was too tired to process anything too complex:
[Image: oxtUcsO.jpg]

And here are the week's sketches!

[Image: Ttahf7M.jpg]
I'm currently re-watching Eureka Seven because it's been a really long time since I first watched it and I didn't really watch it properly. There's a character named Anemone that has eyes that are both cute and disturbing and intriguing and I tried to see if I could pull off something similar so I sketched this during the commercial break. Not a style I'm sticking with but it was fun to do and I actually like how it came out.

[Image: SIemEkp.png]
Profile portrait sketch from imagination... she actually sort of looks like my cousin's girlfriend... might send her the sketch.

[Image: UUBwu1I.jpg]
I saw Gorgon paintings from Warmics and John Silva this week and might as well jump the band-wagon. I also challenged myself to not use the eraser for this one.

[Image: mmtWreS.jpg]
Just some little warm-up sketches but I really liked the one at the bottom, sort of reminds me of Hatsune Miku's "The World Is Mine" artwork by Redjuice.
The proportions for the girl sitting down are not working and the stylized girl standing up has a really wonky arm but oh well -

I also have loads of old stuff (2-3 months) I never finished or posted but sorta like, it's a lot to put in only one post but I'm thinking maybe I could do a section of my sketchbook dedicated to: "Rescues From WIP Purgatory"!
[Image: dELrdkR.jpg]
I was aiming to be pretty ambitious with this one but then things happened and I wasn't able to work on it. Too much time is past though and I see too many errors and have lost interest in the piece. This was done around... late February or early March 2014.

Messages In This Thread
Metabi's Sketchbook - by Metatabi - 05-21-2014, 03:01 PM
RE: Metabi's Sketchbook - by missimoinsane - 05-24-2014, 04:14 PM
RE: Metabi's Sketchbook - by Metatabi - 05-30-2014, 05:18 AM
RE: Metabi's Sketchbook - by Metatabi - 06-04-2014, 06:41 PM
RE: Metabi's Sketchbook - by Metatabi - 06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
RE: Metabi's Sketchbook - by Metatabi - 06-18-2014, 11:54 AM
RE: Metabi's Sketchbook - by Metatabi - 06-30-2014, 01:38 PM
RE: Metabi's Sketchbook - by Metatabi - 08-14-2014, 01:36 PM