|| Cold Coffe || Getting serious with caffeine in my system
Hey man!
Thanks for trading laughs with me, because I found that art progress sketch hilarious. I've never painted in my underwear! So according to this scientifical diagram I'm still a newbie :D

Sorry this became pretty long. I recognize a lot of what you're writing here :p

You said that you weren't very good at facial construction and I don't really agree. You've certainly progress over these sketchbook pages you have here! That latest tribal dude has a pretty solid foundation. I'd check out Hampton for some nice exercises and guidelines when it comes to portraits, and anatomy overall for that matter. It helped me out a ton!

Really dig the work you're putting in for the ChoW! You picked the coolest design in my opinion. Great to see that you think about all the different parts of the design!
When it comes to the pieces itself I think maybe you should bring more attention to the character? Feels like he is taking up a small area of the canvas while the window looks huge and has the highest values.
Hope it's okay that I scaled the character up a bit to fit the rule of thirds to show some sort of solution! (you can disregard this if you don't like it :P)

The story looks interesting, feels like some sort of oriental monk just got capped and the assassins is walking calmly away to claim his bounty.

Recognize that despair too. But I think that it can be a plus to not really have a method. You'll have to play around to find something that works for you. You're not a slave to any technique now! Like slap a new layer over and go crazy if you don't feel like you have the guts to repaint something.
You can do a bunch of silhouettes with good values and color balance them later or scribble a bunch and paint under/over it. You could do some really solid lineart and have simple hues beneath.
Look at it as a challenge from the art gods!

You're doing great work man, just keep the flame burning.

Messages In This Thread
RE: || Cold Coffe || Getting serious with caffeine in my system - by Bjulvar - 08-22-2014, 06:47 AM