Dark Souls fan art
Yes the lore of DS is deep. But it doesn't mean that the crow is Velka, only 'cause I say so. There s no direct answer or evidence in the game for that. So its just a speculation of me and some other players. Crow could be just one of the Velka's servants as well.

So here's what I did. And looking back I believe I should watch closely to keep more of the original image. Sorry for that, its not the way you should do a paintover. I don't think you have to repaint the image as I did, but I hope you'll learn a few tricks, and it would help in your future works.

So. Firs I desaturated the image, since i'm a total noob in color and unable to judge a shit in this topic. What bothered me is that value all around the image is pretty much same. And I guess we should keep it in mind, that to have a successful image we have to divide our foreground, middle-ground and background. I also darkened the highlight haze clouds on the character. Its a meter of taste but I tend to keep as far as I can from things like this, as it does not happen in real life. Game engines use it pretty often though. Also it has place under water and in a very dusty/foggy environment.

Second I expanded the image and used rule of thirds to improve composition.

I repainted the wings to create somehow interesting arc. Also is destroyed and repainted the wall on the right. The bricks and stuff, it was too detailed for me. Details lure attention, and as the brick wall is not a focal point of the image, we should keep less interesting for the viewers eye. Also the sight of the girl made me wander off the page. She wasn't looking on the egg, so i decide to change it later.

Next. I detailed the crow a little, keeping in mind the directions of light. And I also pushed back the background behind him.

I got rid of the character to focus on the middle ground.

Finally I painted the character and the nest back. changing its gesture and staff placement. I also made the girl more darker overall, so shell appear closer to the camera.

[attachment=58222]

I hope this stuff will help in your future works mate. And keep up the good work.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Dark Souls fan art - by kyteki - 10-20-2014, 08:04 AM
RE: Dark Souls fan art - by Amit Dutta - 10-21-2014, 05:16 PM
RE: Dark Souls fan art - by Caisne - 10-22-2014, 05:42 AM
RE: Dark Souls fan art - by kyteki - 10-22-2014, 08:19 AM
RE: Dark Souls fan art - by Caisne - 10-22-2014, 06:55 PM
RE: Dark Souls fan art - by kyteki - 10-23-2014, 04:41 AM
RE: Dark Souls fan art - by Mike086 - 10-25-2014, 03:04 PM
RE: Dark Souls fan art - by parus - 11-05-2014, 09:58 AM
RE: Dark Souls fan art - by kyteki - 11-06-2014, 03:41 PM