Nymx's Sketchbook
Hi, my name is Nicholas Yu, this is my first time here, and i can't wait to get better.
My dream is to become a decent professional concept artist/illustrator by the age of 30 (will be 20 in a week.)

I've been wanting to improve my work for a long time, and figured that having a place where people see the work i do and can give me advice will greatly help progress.

This thread is not one that will likely have a daily update sort of thing due to personal issues, but i will attempt to keep up a relatively steady flow, and hopefully have some new updates each weekend - updates in the sense that i won't just upload one singular sketch - unless it's a painting, in which case hopefully i will also have a process for you to look at.

In this sketchbook thread likely you will find a lot of fundamental practice and studies, as I have figured out that is my biggest weakness in my path to becoming a professional illustrator/concept artist.

TL;DR I'm a newbie pls halp

If you're interested in looking at some of my existing works (assorted 2D and 3D), you can find my up to date portfolio linked in my signature, or here.

I welcome any feedback and hope you like my work. If you don't like it/see issues with my work, please dont hesitate tell me what i'm doing wrong, i'm here to learn and better myself at this.

With that, here are a bunch of sketches i've done recently.
They are currently hosted on imgur as i have no idea how to upload multiple images onto this site.

---------------------------------------------------------------

[18/11/2014] Update 01
Click HERE for the images .

The first 12 images were done for a tutorial i'm currently following on mech design. It's a lengthy tutorial, so expect to see it as part of my updates for a while. The first image was done before said tutorial, and is what made me want to start studying a better way in approaching it as i wasnt happy with all the mech designs ive ever done. Following that first image is a bunch of silhouettes and joint studies in preparation for the later parts of the tutorial.

The next five images are random sketches, the next three being copied anatomy for personal reference. It's not entirely perfect, but it's a start. Finally the last few images are from the exercises found in the Subreddit /r/ArtFundamentals. It was frustrating at first because it looked so bad and sketchy, completely what it shouldnt be, but then i got a little more used to the shoulder movement and also remembered such failure is to be expected when first starting out. I don't intend to stop trying to improve though.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for looking at my sketchbook. I hope to have more new and better work to show you at the end of each week.

Messages In This Thread
Nymx's Sketchbook - by Nymx - 11-19-2014, 01:26 AM
RE: Nymx's Sketchbook - by AliceChopper - 11-19-2014, 02:51 AM
RE: Nymx's Sketchbook - by Nymx - 11-19-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: Nymx's Sketchbook - by Nymx - 11-24-2014, 12:24 AM
RE: Nymx's Sketchbook - by Nymx - 12-01-2014, 09:18 PM