Growing pixels: the perseverance sketchbook
(02-10-2015, 06:57 PM)auroraborealis Wrote: Your studies are massively inspiring me.

I think you are doing really quite well with perspective. But I noticed some of your boxes are distorted (I've highlighted them in yellow):

The reason this is happening, is that you are drawing outside of the cone of vision. Basically, you can fix this in one of two ways. You could keep your vanishing points the same, and move the box up into the cone of vision as I have shown (the blue circle represents the cone of vision--roughly, I wasn't being precise, just wanted to give you an idea of how limited it is). Or, you could widen the distance between the vanishing points. Often your vanishing points will need to be waaaaaay off of the paper :P

To explain the cone of vision further, here is a page with diagrams I found through Google:
http://www.lateralscience.co.uk/perspective/cone.html "The limit of the eye's view" = cone of vision. In Fig. 26, the drawing is distorted outside of the cone of vision, which is represented by the circle.

As far as your concern about hardwiring mistakes, unless you are doing nothing but copying highly stylized and simplified artwork (like manga or something), I don't think you have too much to worry about. :P At least, I was listening to a video the other day (by Anthony Jones, I think) who said that, so I'm repeating it haha. Personally, I figure I'm going to be making lots of mistakes in observation, but every time I make a breakthrough in understanding what I am drawing from observation, I am able to apply that to my imagination drawing.

If you did want to, instead of starting with something more complicated like a character, maybe start with an exercise like this: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/real-obj...ry-details

Anyhoo, your work ethic is clearly awesome, and I look forward to seeing you continue to improve. :)

Thank you so much for the encouragement and the suggestions. Sorry for the late response, but I've been swamped with non-art stuff for uni and it took me a while to check in.

I really appreciate the distortion explanation and the ctrl paint vid - that's something I will definitely want to be doing with my next studies. I remember watching this a couple of years back, but I guess I had totally forgotten I even watched this. Thanks for the reminder!

Reg. the distortion, I made some of the boxes like that because the assignment required to play around with the vps and distortion. But the fig 26 drawing shows when this happens in context, which I think makes a lot more sense to me to "put things into perspective" - literally. :)

Thanks a lot auroraborealis for the great tips - I should be more patient and do more studying and then hopefully everything else will get better. What you mentioned about your own process and mistakes, brings to mind Proko's new video. I watched it yesterday, and combined with what you said, it just makes perfect sense.

And thank you Agerkvist! Will definitely keep it up! :)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Growing pixels: the perseverance sketchbook - by Minksy - 02-21-2015, 10:12 PM