Starting a bit late. should I just stop?
Gliger mostly nailed it really. I would add a couple of things.

You are still an artist whether you do it as a professional or just do it "as a hobby". There is no distinction, even though a billion people out there will tell you there is. In fact I would even go as far as to say the hobbyist is probably more in touch with doing things for their own enjoyment and the core reason for doing art than a professional who has to think about markets and audience and revenue and other ultimately unfulfilling and distracting things.

This brings us to the other point. Whatever and however you pursue your creative urge you should be doing it for yourself first, foremost and forever. The external recognition and marketing and all that other bullshit will need to happen at some point in order to go pro, but always keep your enjoyment of the process sacred and foremost in your aim. Also cultivate and learn to listen to yourself...really listen to yourself, not what others say you should do, be it with art or life in general. The more you are aware of your own motivations, the more you will be able to act in a manner that is ultimately fulfilling to you. Just because everyone says you need to have a pro job as a concept artist for movies before you have made it, doesn't mean it is true. Trust your own instinct.

And to make you feel better, I started the journey seriously when I was about 34, and was fucking around aimlessly for about 3 years before that, all the while I was working full time in a non art related job. I am now 38. I haven't "made it" yet, not that I think that's a good measure of success at all, but I can see light at the end of that particular tunnel. If I can do it, you can do it. Just follow your own gut and don't listen or get swayed by what all the community of (let's be honest) copycats is currently doing. Find your own vision and trust it. Welcome to the journey, settle in, and enjoy the ride.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starting a bit late. should I just stop? - by Amit Dutta - 01-18-2015, 03:36 PM