Seeking some help to finish of a piece
A quick few notes for ya:

1: Anatomy anatomy anatomy.
The fingers are not right, the shoulders appear too squared off, his whole torso seems bent in an odd way, the face is very flat.
Always use reference to help you when you don't have the knowledge to do something out of your imagination "correctly". The good thing about fan art is that you can search for Kaneki cosplay for very specific and relevant reference.

2, Gesture and emotion.
So the whole point about figures is that the gesture is meant to indicate the action. The action and expression will indicate the situation, emotion and what we are meant to feel about it. The figure is so stiff, and the three finger up deal (which I assume is a reference to the character) is very hard to read. What is he doing? What are we supposed to feel about it? What is HE supposed to be feeling?
At the moment it is an odd mix, that is emotionally flat and doesn't really make much sense, especially for a non fan of the show.
The following pics show an indication of character even though I have no idea what the guy is about. Still not clear, but some sort of emo S&M thing on a revenge tip? I did not get a hint of this from your piece

[Image: 41zRKpOO2%2BL.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_n8ovw4vZRK1ssl60oo1_500.jpg]

3.Form
You need to focus on lighting and shadow in order to accurately portray form. The lighting is very ambient and it is hard to pick where it is coming from. I am guessing it is meant to be from above left of canvas, but the way you have used your shadow areas makes everything look very flat. The cape should be casting shadow on him given the light source. Pick a light source and then define all your form according to that light source. For practice I recommend drawing / painting primitive objects (cubes, spheres, cones, cylinders etc) in various lighting conditions to learn how to give objects a sense of volume.

The cape itself does not look or act like fabric. Once again you haven't used any reference, and it is obvious.

Sorry to be harsh, but being honest is better than sugar coating things. Most issues with paintings come down to one of a few things, mainly:
Poor fundamental drawing skills.
Not using reference when the knowledge isn't there.
No clear purpose or narrative to the piece.

Hope that helps!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seeking some help to finish of a piece - by Amit Dutta - 01-24-2015, 08:12 PM