learning illustration from the beginning
Hello artists,

Enough lurking, time to open a sketchbook. :D

I'm fairly new to this. I've liked drawing since childhood, but only have been taking art classes for the last 14 months. So I am just beginning to understand how much there is to learn, and quite frankly, am a little overwhelmed. :P

I am interested in learning illustration. My education so far has been under an atelier trained teacher, who taught me the basics of sight-size and comparative measurement, figure and gesture drawing, and watercolor. I also took a perspective class, which is the most I've learned about drawing from imagination. I don't have access to classes anymore, as I now live in the middle of nowhere, so I will be using books and the internet for the next little while. I want to stay disciplined to practice, hence this sketchbook to record all the terrible stuff I draw. xD

Oh right, and I'm almost completely new to digital.

Thank you for checking out my sketchbook. :)

Just finished this last night, and I'm not sure if I should've added more contrast to it. But it's watercolor, so I didn't want the paint to get muddy. It's partly from photo reference (for the shapes), and partly from imagination (the lighting and color).

This is a colour mixing exercise from Ctrl+Paint's Digital Painting 101 class.

This also from Digital Painting 101--trying out brushes. I don't have the exact flat brush Matt Kohr uses in the tutorial. Thinking I might be able to figure out how to import it into Manga Studio somehow, though.

3rd exercise from Digital Painting 101

Was so excited to learn this. Here is the tutorial I used from PinUps Eu on youtube, in case anyone else is as n00b as I am.

Another attempt at a cat. I used reference, but tried to make the cat's fur longer, and... *facepalm*

From imagination, so anatomy is wonky.

Thanks again for checking out my sketchbook. :)

Messages In This Thread
learning illustration from the beginning - by auroraborealis - 02-10-2015, 11:35 AM