Wacom Cintiqs and Alternatives
I don't have a Cintiq, but I play tested a bunch of different models when I was thinking about shelling out for one a little while ago. For me, the play test really revealed to me that it really wasn't worth the money, so I REALLY HIGHLY recommend that you try whatever you are going to buy before you buy it. I just sent out a facebook request to all the artists in the area I knew, and a few of them had models that they were nice enough to have me around to try out.

I thought the Cintiq felt pretty good to paint and draw on. I didn't really notice my hand getting in the way, though I didn't use them for that long (maybe half an hour a go). It definitely was closer to a trad feeling for me than using a tablet, because while not directly on the surface, it is close, and your arm movements and control are more similar to trad than painting off to the side is. Interesting that Tristan had the opposite reaction, so shows you how subjective even that is. The question was is that enough?

The other thing to be aware of in your research is the screen type and specs and the display connectors it uses. Not everything will work nicely together with your machine depending on the ports. The YiNova you linked to has a TFT screen which won't be the best for colour accuracy. IPS are generally better, but of course depends on the individual screen model. Make sure you do your research there as well.

When I weighed it all up, I realised very quickly that Cintiqs are very nice, very expensive toys for the kid who wants everything. They are designed and priced for serious pros who can offset the cost, or for people who either don't mind or get sucked into blowing 3-5K on something that doesn't give you any measurable advantage besides a different "feel". Their marketing is great, but they won't make you any better or any quicker or anything.

So in summary I would say if you are going to go for it, try before you buy, and go for the cheaper options (by which I mean not Wacom)

And if you haven't seen this already.... http://www.parkablogs.com/content/which-...t-buy-2015

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wacom Cintiqs and Alternatives - by Lodratio - 08-05-2015, 01:58 AM
RE: Wacom Cintiqs and Alternatives - by Adam Lina - 08-05-2015, 06:09 AM
RE: Wacom Cintiqs and Alternatives - by Amit Dutta - 08-06-2015, 06:23 PM