MiniPantsu's Concept Art Journey
Hi,

My name's Mathias, 17 years atm.
As the title suggests my goal is to "break into the industry" as they say.. and achieve my dreams of becoming a concept artist for game development.

The genres I enjoy the most are fantasy, dark fantasy etc. From software is my favourite video game company and the games they produce are very dear to my heart. The idea of being involved in developing such projects fascinates me and I wi'll not stop working hard until I achieve just that.

I am very aware that the way of getting in is very VERY tight and I'm determined to get as exceptional at painting and designing as humanly possible to "get my foot in the door"  

Sadly I can't afford to attend schools like FZD or Art Center (in fact most people can't).. and there is no way I'm letting myself get deep into student debt.. so self-taught is most likely the way to go.

I currently go to a fairly easy going artschool that teaches basic fundamentals.. so time really isn't an issue for me.
Most of the things I learned on my own with the help of instructional youtube videos and attending livestream critique communities. And just a ton of mileage of course. Although my focus is on increasing the amount of work I produce on a daily basis. Quite allergic to wasting time I suppose..

The learning work flow I have in mind so far goes basically like this:

1) Decide on a specific game project (Theme, Setting, etc..) - most likely change every few months or so
         2) Split it into 6 basic categories:                         
             - Character - turn around (production ready) - (6)
             - Player-wearable outfit (2D layout) - (5)
             - Creature - turn around (production ready) - (4)
             - Environment - exterior - (3)  
             - Environment - interior - (2)
             - Weapon - (1)
         3) Dice roll
         4) Work my ass off
         5) Hopefully have a presentable finished concept at the end, repeat

Also specifically for this month I took on a personal "1000 Designs" speed and mileage excercise.
For those curious as of writing this I'm at number 247.
These works are all from imagination and for a very specific reason (that being speed).
Few studies here and there (like cloth for example) but mostly for understanding of given subject so that my thinking brain can apply these rules from memory without having to look up a reference each time.

Below will be a few examples of my early illustration/fanart/study work. (full gallery:minipantsu.deviantart.com)
Then a couple pages from the 1000 Designs excercise.
..And starting next month I will fully devote myself to the concept art learning process mentioned above.

So stay tuned! ..and thanks for reading in this far if you took the time to do so :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
MiniPantsu's Concept Art Journey - by MiniPantsu - 03-16-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: MiniPantsu's Concept Art Journey - by Riprap - 03-17-2016, 05:10 PM
RE: MiniPantsu's Concept Art Journey - by Janet - 03-27-2016, 05:04 AM
RE: MiniPantsu's Concept Art Journey - by Janet - 03-28-2016, 02:49 AM
RE: MiniPantsu's Concept Art Journey - by DK - 04-12-2016, 04:23 PM
RE: MiniPantsu's Concept Art Journey - by Pax - 06-13-2016, 05:36 PM
RE: MiniPantsu's Concept Art Journey - by DK - 07-22-2016, 07:52 PM