BORN YESTERDAY - please help
Hi Simion.

Good news is, you're just at that right age to decide whether or not to pursue the much coveted career in video games. Mid-20's seem to be the right age.

The not-so-good news is, what you heard about the industry being highly competitive is absolutely right. About "struggling like crazy just to find a decent job", struggling really depends on how good you are skills-wise and how good you are at personal marketing. You can be a really crappy artist but a really nice, upright person, you will struggle to work on your skills. You can be a really good artist but a crappy person to work with, you will struggle to work on yourself. Beyond that, you will struggle because every artist in the business is constantly upping their game, that you have to always improve yourself as well to keep up. Everybody is working at the highest level quality wise and everybody is finishing faster. From what I heard, the video game business is not exactly cake-walk as many perceive it to be. It will always be a struggle. It is a struggle you have to love to survive. But hey, if you find that perfect, big foot of a myth chillax art job, I will be super jealous, but, at the same time, happy for you.

"HOW APPRECIATED IS THE ENVIRONMENT 2D CONCEPT/ENVIRONMENT PHOTOBASH? ARE THERE ANY JOBS ON THIS SECTION? DO YOU THINK 6 YEARS OF ARCHITECTURE AND URBANISM PLANNING ARE GONA HELP?"
- Man, if you can pull that off and crank out a dozen beautiful pieces per hour, I will probably hound you for hints and tips. There's a job called Environment Concept Artist that may pique your interest. I think any information, like experience in architecture and urban planning, that will expand your knowledge and visual library will help.

"So what are your advices toards the artwork jobs (games and movies)?"
- Have an awareness for the industry. Keep an ear to the ground. See how you stack up with the artists who already got their foot in the door and try to push your work to that quality and beyond.

"Do you have any suggestion for tutorials or other artists, books?"
- You can try to be active at this forum called: "Crimson Daggers!" (; There's a Crimson Crucible Challenge happening right now, you might want to take a look!

"I mean take Blizzard and Riot - they have totally different styles. The question is: THERE IS A WAY TO CAPTURE THE INTEREST OF MOST OF THIS KIND OF STUDIOS? you know... like killing 2 birds with one rock."
- They have their distinct "house styles", so it's better if you gear your portfolio towards either or, or, make separate portfolios for each to cater both. I haven't found that big of a boulder that could pancake those two innocent little birds.

"All I know is that in a short time I have to improve myself - but what I do after?"
- If you honestly can say to yourself that you got all the foundations (color, value, form, perspective, composition, etc..) down to a pat, you can expand your visual library! Read books! Look at designs! Learn how things work! And such! That's going to be a lifetime of learning.

I hope I helped, even just a little bit! Disclaimer! I am not working in the industry yet, but I read and heard so much about the business. I'm just parroting what I heard from people who is working/have worked in the industry.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by John - 03-25-2016, 03:35 AM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by John - 03-25-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by Amit Dutta - 03-26-2016, 02:00 AM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by Amit Dutta - 03-26-2016, 01:29 PM