BORN YESTERDAY - please help
well of course i am a little afraid.. almost no one looks toards future and says "im gonna be the best madafakar in this area" and actually belives it :D

You said that you see a lot of buildings being constructed but that dose not mean its good for architects - that mean is good for engineers. An architect can only design (esteticall and technical), but an engineer can both design and build. The difference is in education, way of tinking and imagination. But most people dont know the difference and they think an architect=constuction engineer, and when they want something done... they go to an engineer (because they are a lot more than architects). Its true that every building need an architect signature (i think its forseen by law in most countries)... but in the end is just a signature... and a lot of architects do what we call "architectural prostitution".... they just offer the signature for some crappy 500-1000euros or even less.

As for portofolio, most architecture offices are looking for experience as a technical designer... almost no one looks for 2D/3D renders because they know that they almost dont count at all. Well, their main porpouse is to create a impresion on the client but.. no one asks for super realistic images. Only big companies ask that. I say this because till now i have worked in 2 architecture offices and all of them faced the same problems.

Now i dont want to do this only for money. I have some professors (2 of them are the kind that get all the big projects in city and cities nearby... dont know how the hell) and despite all their fortune they are some of the sadest, misserable, angriest people i've known. Nah... i prefer to be a normal person and happy than a old cranky geezer that no one likes. Besides... it going pretty well doing projects for lazier students and overcharge them... a lot.

Truth is i like them both, architecture and visual art... just from what i saw in real life architecture is more "bad habbitated". You can suck and get projects but i doubt in visual design u can get top jobs if you suck big time. In architecture it takes more than that hard work and huge skill... it need that struck of luck also. So i preffer to do them both.. for now.  If i manage to enter the world of artworks thats awesome... if not... well lets hope that luck will strike. :D

And i didnt say i will quit architecture... hell no. I know its gona be crappy here in Romania, but still who knows? maybe in 5 years im gonna be in some other country. But it will be nice to have a nice hobby that im good at (visual design) and could offer a second lifestyle. 

As for freelancing. Well that will be a no. I know i like to do what i want but still... i like to be sane and have human interraction also :D and a office offers more of these.

And i dont want to be limited only to movies/games... those are the only 2 domains i know of... there were some other ones i think like illustration for card games (pokemon or whatever.... ) and comic books. As for 3d yes i gues i could like that also...

Messages In This Thread
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by John - 03-25-2016, 03:35 AM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by John - 03-25-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by Amit Dutta - 03-26-2016, 02:00 AM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by Simion Alexandru - 03-26-2016, 05:50 AM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by Amit Dutta - 03-26-2016, 01:29 PM