How do you use an anatomy manual? (another stupid question)
Here's my method:

I try to draw a specific region (or part) of anatomy, without reference, many MANY times. Then, I look online or in the mirror for reference for the thing I'm trying to draw. I notice the difference between the reference image and my own iterative series of drawings, then I apply the missing bit of info to my next drawings.

This helps me because I am drawing A LOT and gaining mileage, plus, it's easier for me to retain knowledge learned.

I prefer this way oppose to copying an image then trying to replicate it; studying this way forces you to remember a lot of information at once. It's harder to focus on weak points. It's harder to IDENTIFY weak points.

Yeah.

SO:

1. Draw many iterations of the thing you're trying to learn, WITHOUT reference. Try to figure shit out on your own.

2. Pull up reference, compare your series of iterative drawings with the reference, identify the lapse of information, apply the learned bits to your own drawings.

It's a tedious approach, but I like it because my brain is dumber than most and it helps my dumb brain learn.

*Draw a fuck-ton and check your work as you go. Basically the crux of my explanation.

Pop tons of adderall.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you use an anatomy manual? (another stupid question) - by devinn - 04-18-2016, 09:00 PM