On Drawing Every Day and Scheduling
Bug 
Hello guys! I've wanted to develop art ninja skillz for a long time, but I've always kind of studied on and off. Often I got discouraged and stopped studying for a while because I felt I was failing miserably at something. This changed recently when I listened to Feng Zhou's podcast on learning on your own. He made it clear I have to really study a lot in order to improve quickly.

So, for the last few days, I've been drawing every single day. I want to make drawing every day into a habit and start logging in those hours of mileage. It isn't always so easy to build a positive habit and break old patterns, so I'd like to ask you guys for advice. What do you think is the best way to make drawing every day a regular thing? How do you go about minimizing distractions and getting into the zone of art practice?

There's been a few things that have really helped me. One is just cleaning up my room and organizing all my stuff, so that I have a clean environment to work in. The other is organizing my computer desktop to show all the stuff I'm working on. I've found that its a lot easier to get into studying when you have your stuff all organized and all you have to do is sit down and do it.

But I still haven't managed to build a reasonable schedule. I'm staying up at crazy hours drawing and getting up way late and generally having a stupid schedule. So what do your recommend for building a reasonable art schedule? Should I map everything out, and how?

At the end of the day, we build patterns (both positive and negative) through repetition, so I know the most important thing is to just keep drawing every day. Eventually it will become something I just do. Crazy hour or not, I got my study in today and I'm gonna do more tomorrow. In love Onward to awesome things!

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!

Messages In This Thread
On Drawing Every Day and Scheduling - by Mechanizoid - 04-25-2016, 09:34 PM
RE: On Drawing Every Day and Scheduling - by John - 04-26-2016, 04:15 PM
RE: On Drawing Every Day and Scheduling - by smrr - 04-27-2016, 08:37 PM