Learning how to have proper draftsmanship
Hey man!

Haha before I got serious about art I used to frequent /ic/ quite a bit. Learned how to take some harsh af crits and also how much I suck balls lmfao
Really great place to come from before actually starting out, I reckon.

Well, you decided right. Draftsmanship is hands down most important thing to get a grasp on in art.
So "sketching cleaner" and good draftsmanship is a by-product of consistent practise... so go practise!
I won't be an asshole to you lel. 'Cause that's the kind of feedback I was given when I started out drawing and trust me, there's a whole lot of rolling around in circles if you don't have a clue as to what to practise to get better at drawing.  

However - yes
You do need to keep practising lesson 1 from Draw a Box. Not being an asshole here, this is forreals. If my 3yrs exp has taught me anything, it's that when it comes to the fundamentals - they are absolutely everything. When there is a lack of these fundamentals, you'll know because 90% of the time, you'll hit a wall. In addtion to this, a solid understanding of perspective is legit everything in drawing. You want tips and shortcuts for cutting out the bullshit right? I say this from a place of love. Don't make the same mistake I did, hitting walls every day because I was studying anatomy before having a solid grip on drawing simple shapes in space lmao. Everything that Draw a Box preaches is 100% accurate. 'Cause if you can draw a box (at any angle), you can fit anything inside of it. It makes drawing so, so, so much easier. You'll be able to visualise scenes a whole lot easier, visualise poses a lot better, etc.
It is [Image: 0666.png]

Your lines aren't that bad! Things that helped me improve on lines > daily warm up exercises:
>>Gesture drawing - posemaniac/quickposes/YouTube sport vids
>>Peter Han's Dynamic Sketching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
exercises:
>>Drawing from life + photos. Anything/one from life. Use youself if people are moving fast af/no-one will sit for you (my life ;_;)
>>Observational studies
>>Sketchbook drawing - applying what you've learned, having fun. Keep consistent with this!

Note: I put drawing from life/observational studies separately because for me, they are, for the most part separate. Sometimes I would solely focus on line quality and translation (2D symbols into 3D) when drawing from photos, as opposed to really nailing accuracy for example. I'd still think about structure, but translation and line quality are more important in that study > and I feel people overlook this in favour of hitting accuracy sometimes.
Also, observational studies include paying attention and observing master drawings (from trad times or our times). Just by looking at great drawings for a while can help a lot. For some reason, many of us tend to get right into a study of a master drawing... without giving the piece the time of day? That to me is a waste of time and energy, without asking the what's and how's - how do you go about solving a problem?

You've really gotta pick apart what you want to learn from a study and how you're gonna go about doing it. In the end, I can tell you to do this and do that, but from my experience - we're all wired differently, you've gotta find what works for you (that doesn't mean you should skip studying the fundamentals though lmao).

Anyway, those are a couple of tips that'll save you a shit load of time. Tips that I wish I'd realised from the start.

Hope this helps <3

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all

Messages In This Thread
RE: Learning how to have proper draftsmanship - by smrr - 05-09-2016, 09:17 AM