making portfolio
Possibly in the crit section might be more applicable, but since you are asking about work readiness, it's all good here too.

I like the attitude you have shown in the character. It comes across well. An interesting pose. I think her proportions are a little too long overall in the torso and even more so for her legs, but it's not too bad and could be attributed to deliberate stylisation, but make sure it is deliberate, or it might come across as a mistake.
At the moment I'd say more work needed to embellish her design, especially in the mostly plain tunic and trousers. Think about embroidery or fabric patterns, and accessories like buckles, buttons, brooches etc. Doesn't have to be over the top, but a bit more visual interest might help to make it a little less generic. It's a totally different style so not directly applicable, but check out the design work done for the elves for the LOTR and hobbit movies, particularly by Nick Kellar...that's how you do design! Another ref might be the dragon age inquisition tarot card art. It's closer in style but more stylised and bolder in the shape language than yours, but it might give you some ideas on how to push your design language further.

I think you could differentiate materials a little more between the armour, clothing and leather boots. I think you need to indicate the ground plane and give her a cast shadow just to ground her in the scene more.

In terms of skill, I think when you've done some of that finishing work it's probably good enough to show in a folio that you are hireable to do work of this style...just need to direct it at projects and clients that match!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
making portfolio - by varbas - 06-23-2016, 04:57 AM
RE: making portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 06-23-2016, 05:41 AM
RE: making portfolio - by varbas - 06-23-2016, 12:53 PM
RE: making portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 06-23-2016, 01:48 PM
RE: making portfolio - by varbas - 06-24-2016, 05:53 AM