Mech's Oxygen Deprivation Deathline
Updating my Deathline! Based on my performance so far, I have some refinements to make to my goals. Listening to this FZD podcast gave me some ideas: https://youtu.be/k3Al7QAS89s
  1. Get to bed at a reasonable hour (i.e., not 4 in the morning all the time...)!. Seriously, it ain't healthy. ^^ Early mornings are some of the best times for me to work, too!
  2. Spend five hours a day drawing. Feng Zhu did the math on this on one of his podcasts, and someone who practices two to three hours a day just can't catch in mileage to someone who practices five or more hours. 
  3. Avoid wasting time on the internet or social media–including places like this! As Feng Zhu suggests, I'm going to break it down into a 1/10 ratio. A half hour of forum time as a break after five hours of drawing sounds fine.
  4. Couple tutorials with homework. Each half hour of vid watching should mean dozens of pages of actual drawings, otherwise I'm just watching videos.
  5. Oh yeah–do you know that feeling beginners get when they finally draw something sort of correct, where they don't want to do more 'cause they might mess it up? I gonna fucking break the back of this feeling. So sick of it. If I mess up, that means I need to draw more. :D An amateur practices until they get it right. A pro practices until they can't get it wrong.
Since I'm studying from Scott Robertson's video on perspective form sketching, I'm assigning myself a bit of homework to practice what he shows me. I'm going to draw 100 freehand perspective grids. Not really setting any deadline for these. TBH, I just enjoy drawing these things, so I'm gonna do a bunch each day until I reach 100. Then I'm gonna draw some more of these constructions, and watch the rest of the video!

I'm also gonna incorporate some of Scott's ellipse exercises into my daily routines. Some of them look pretty helpful. So there are some of the concrete things I'm doing to apply Feng's advice!

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mech's Oxygen Deprivation Deathline - by John - 06-27-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: Mech's Oxygen Deprivation Deathline - by Mechanizoid - 07-01-2016, 02:25 AM