Indentifying with your art
(08-17-2016, 06:13 AM)Adam Lina Wrote: Im talking about people feeling like shit because they think their art isnt meeting some standard. Or they feel like God's gift to the art world and they ARE the standard. Are either of these mentalities helpful for an artist in the long run?

Yes to both. But in smaller doses. These mentalities are helpful in moderation. You should feel inadequate enough to know there is still room for improvement, while you should also feel confident enough to show everyone your work. These personalities you presented are two people of extremes.

Short version: like Socrates said: "Nothing in excess, everything in moderation".

(08-17-2016, 06:13 AM)Adam Lina Wrote: You can decide to be an abstract artist and still not identify with your art. In fact this is the entire point of doing abstract art. Its about losing yourself in the process of making it. Does an abstract artist look at his painting afterwards and say "This looks like shit. Im a worthless artist."? Their goal shouldnt be to create an appealing painting but if other people find appeal in it thats only a happy accident. You can do the same with realism while applying the principles of light and form. Whether or not people find your work appealing in any case is just a matter of personal taste.

I am highlighting: "This looks like shit. Am I a worthless artist."

As long as you know you're not your art, you're not the piece of paper you're drawing, your worth as a human being is not tied into some role or label, you are fine. Otherwise, you're denying yourself of your own being (that 'being' being: a creature who has the ability to transcend a given identity.)

You are not done revealing yourself until you are dead. Why should anyone tie their self-worth on any thing for that matter? Why deny yourself of that inherent ability?

I have had "this looks like shit, am I a worthless artist" moments. In fact I still do. In my opinion, it's perfectly alright to have your own "boo-hoo, I suck moments", but to let that be the-end-all-be-all of your entire artistic existence, that's a denial of one's own potential.

Should you have fun with work? Should you feel like shit? Should you be idealistic about reaching your dreams? Should you be realistic enough to say, "meh, ain't gonna work"? Should you be arrogant? Should you be humble? Should you be positive? Should you be negative?

Yes to all. Nobody should be tied to a single perspective. Not even that Socrates quote I just mentioned awhile ago, which leads me to pulling another corny quote, everything in moderation. Including moderation.

P.S. I know for a fact that my yammering has absolutely no value to a problem this thread is suggesting. This is an impersonal solution to every person's personal problem. By design, it's bound to fail.

I just love yapping about nothing! Hee hee!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
Indentifying with your art - by Adam Lina - 08-16-2016, 09:36 AM
RE: Indentifying with your art - by John - 08-16-2016, 07:01 PM
RE: Indentifying with your art - by Adam Lina - 08-17-2016, 06:13 AM
RE: Indentifying with your art - by Amit Dutta - 08-17-2016, 05:06 PM
RE: Indentifying with your art - by John - 08-17-2016, 09:55 PM
RE: Indentifying with your art - by devinn - 08-18-2016, 01:22 AM
RE: Indentifying with your art - by devinn - 08-18-2016, 01:41 AM
RE: Indentifying with your art - by Artloader - 08-18-2016, 02:37 AM