Manoela's Sketchbook (and journal?)
(09-02-2016, 02:13 AM)Anton_Fort Wrote: Wow nice flow on that silhouettes! Wanna see some more)

Thank you Fort! i'll be posting more stuff related to that very soon! Right now I have a new thing going on and I'd LOVE to have your opinion about it. (:

So, here's the thing. I’m starting this new personal project to upgrade my portfolio. My last project on that matter was a book about exotic dragons, their habits and anatomy, all described trought the eyes of an explorer of the new world. You can check the previous result here:
So, since I’ll be finishing an extensive game project for a client soon, I want to upgrade my portfolio and have new stuff to update and keep myself busy, as well as my followers entertained, and of course get the attention of some potential clients!
With the releasing of the new MTG Kaladesh, which I’ve been expecting for a very long time while I watched every move of my favorite artists (I don’t even play the game! LOL) I realized this format inspires my greatly: there a beautiful narrative, generally composed with a complex background and characters that interact with it, vibrant colors (dependind a little bit from which color deck we’re talking about) and such a immersive magical feeling. I love it. I want to be able to do that.

In adition to this, me and my husband have created a couple of D&D characters to portray us, like an alter ego if you please, and as time went by, we started creating funny and complex stories behind this idea (because we are nerdy kids with legal access to wine, so yeah). We ended up with a nice background for those characters, the world they live, the creatures that inhabit the nearby lands and a couple of enemies.
So, this is my briefing:
To create TEN illustrations that can express the best quality I am able to produce right now with my craft.
Those ten illustrations will have the proportion of 1:0,7 and should be readable from a miniature scale and beautiful from a closer view.
The visual references for those ten illustrations will be the art of MTG, especially those of the green decks.They will portray creatures, sorcery, artifact, and land.

These are the illustration ides I have so far, and many names and other stuff can change at this initial stage:

Manoela Costa – Creature – Half-elf druid
A female figure with a crown of tiny pink flowers sits crosslegged on the ground filled with mushrooms and moss, the walls around looks like treebark and there are paintgs of nature motifs.

Gabriel Barbejat – Creature – Human wizard
A male figure is sat among many old books in a dark place, like a study room occasionally invaded by some plants. Many candles light the place, many others have already burnt out their wax. The man has an “eureka” expression as he points to one of the book pages.

Miranda, the familiar – Creature – cat
A brown stripped cat plays rolling in the ground with a small leaf. Patched warm sunlight hits her fur.

Miranda , the animal companion – Creature – Tiger
A huge tiger-like creature lingers in a lazy way hanging from a tree branch dominated by moss. Moonlight shines from across the leafs.

Treehouse – Artifact
A fantastic and complex house structure grows around and inside an enormous tree, with a basket elevator, some chimney-like structures and other unexpected sights.

Solstice celebration – Instant
Many people gather joyfully and clap at a couple that participate on a matrimonial ceremony at the beach. It is midday and the waves touch their barefeet.

Laboratory accident  -Instant
The wizard and the druid look alarmed as they stare at many empty dropped bottles of magic potions and a cauldron that lays at the floor. Colorfull goo is spilled from it, and small prints of catpwas come from it. .Huge cat-like eyes glow in the dark right behind them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Manoela's Sketchbook (and journal?) - by ManoelaCosta - 09-19-2016, 09:38 PM