Poll: Is art school worth it for concept art?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
12.50%
1 12.50%
Depends on current funds
25.00%
2 25.00%
Depends on the art school
62.50%
5 62.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Your opinions on Art schools
(03-20-2017, 08:53 PM)someguy216 Wrote: Hey thanks for the in-depth experience of syn! Amit's right, there isn't many student experiences of syn studios out there, being such a new studio and all. But it's very impressive that such a small studio has quickly started to be compared with FZD. Overall Syn studios sounds perfect for me! The full time diploma would be ideal, I'm ready to sacrifice health and life in general if the teaching quality is good. Unfortunately the next intake is not till next year in October, which is too long to wait for. Of course If possible I'd love a student's experience of the intensive diploma.
However for now, I was considering the full time program, However how does it work? I'm a international student so would it be sensible for me to go there for a year? It does sounds like a great place to study though. I want to go full at doing concept art, which I can't get from self study, since I'd have to take a day job which will slow me down a lot. 

Otherwise there's not many other good concept art options, artcentre ofc looks solid but I don't shit money :p. CDA is non accredited. The other options are simply staying in my country (UK) and going to an atelier, but atelier's really only teach muscle memory.

Or of course there's FZD, but what puts me of that is the rumours. Lots of people are saying about bad teaching/business practises coming from that school. Teachers not actually offering much input, visa's being withheld, and high-school drama. As far as I know the only confirmed thing is that there was in fact a spat between long and Feng as well as Feng and Ben Mauro; but who knows which side was in the right or if it was a simple misunderstanding. For my mind set, the course sounds great, but its VERY expensive and alot of hard work; I don't want to sacrifice all that to find out its actually a rather inefficient school. So if you do know any students I'd love to have a chat with them if possible, that would be fantastic (I've talked to one guy but that's a small sample size).

Otherwise all this feedback you guys are giving is fantastic, I've been juggling education options for a while and ideally want it sorted soon; don't wanna end up staying another year at my current uni (The course is pretty awful). In the mean time I'm doing lots of self teaching so If you guys are starting any art hangouts please lemme know, wouldn't mind a chat and to do some art!

Sometimes my classmates host a hangout on Sundays. Depends on if the person hosting is busy or not. I'll go ask him about his schedules for this week when I have time. He no longer studies at Syn and is currently working, so the group revolves around his work schedule. Not many people join as many students have Sunday classes they need to attend at Syn.

I'd love to chat on Hangouts with you, but my internet is absolute crap at the moment and is unusable on Hangouts. I'll see if I can get it fixed in a week or a month. :P

Syn hits a rather niched market here in the city I live in. Usually I do not recommend going to art schools like these unless you really have everything planned out and set up, especially as an international student, which alone is already a lot to deal with. I'll post in details later when I have time.

Messages In This Thread
Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-15-2017, 09:28 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-15-2017, 07:27 PM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-18-2017, 06:24 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-18-2017, 10:25 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-20-2017, 01:46 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Orange Pekoe - 03-21-2017, 06:08 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-25-2017, 05:48 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Bookend - 04-17-2017, 10:37 AM