The twilight zone.
@Lodratio : Thank you for the welcome and feedback. I'm with you on those values. I'm far too timid - the further I progress into a painting, I worry about loosing my whites/light values and become too conservative. I need to push it and stop worrying. I won't make the mistakes to learn from otherwise. I am returning to the above pieces to push the values further. I really appreciate the encouragement!

@chubbycat: Hi! Thank you your welcome and advice! I'll give it a shot pushing that shoulder back by including it in the background washes! Experimentation go! Thanks again!

A few more updates - I have been feeling like my form is leaving much to be desired. I've been working on some proko and free-style form studies (no ref). When doing the proko studies I usually make a first attempt, then follow allowing with Proko and finally make a third attempt without any reference. *phew* It can get a bit tedious, but it seems to stick in my head much better this way. Other studies are just taking a previous gesture study I have made and attempting to work in some of the 3D forms on my own. Hopefully this will get easier as a learn more anatomy.

Here is a study of a well known image from Mirrors Edge. I really love the aesthetic in the game. Painting this for a bit of fun. More watercolours - but using a different technique than my previous work. Lots of masking layers. This paper really doesn't hold the water well though, so it's a bit of a pain. It's difficult to control 'blooming'. I won't be buying this type of paper again. Live and learn!

Thanks again for all the comments and crit!

- EmEl

Messages In This Thread
The twilight zone. - by EmEl - 04-13-2017, 10:06 PM
RE: The twilight zone. - by Lodratio - 04-14-2017, 09:19 PM
RE: The twilight zone. - by chubbycat - 04-14-2017, 10:10 PM
RE: The twilight zone. - by EmEl - 04-18-2017, 12:16 AM
RE: The twilight zone. - by EmEl - 04-20-2017, 12:09 AM
RE: The twilight zone. - by EmEl - 04-24-2017, 12:05 AM
RE: The twilight zone. - by UKRAINIANWOLF97 - 05-01-2017, 05:03 PM
RE: The twilight zone. - by EmEl - 06-12-2017, 11:33 PM
RE: The twilight zone. - by EmEl - 06-18-2017, 10:58 PM