Is it possible to make yourself enjoy art?
Quote:I guess the scenario would be - I sit down to draw something and I get an overwhelming fear of failure - I'm afraid that I will do a bad job.

I don't have a definite answer to this since we all have our own ways of dealing with it.

----

Short version: You will do a bad job. Maybe not on your current piece. But you will eventually stumble. And it's alright to fail. We all eat our balls. By chance if you do fail, let it happen. (As if you got any other choice!). Failures are bound to happen regardless of any skill level. Question is: if it's inevitable, why should it bother you?

----

I remember not too long ago I had lost it in the Discord chat once. I was about to apply (or was applying) to various game companies all over. I was hesitant and overly anxious about it. This guy/girl, not to be named because I might accidentally antagonize or vilify the person, in the chat knew my work enough to say that I shouldn't keep my hopes up into getting in. We clearly both can see that my work isn't good enough. If it was, we wouldn't have that episode to begin with.

And that person was right. Every company I applied to passed on. A lot didn't even bother to hit me back with a reply.

I remember I was bellyaching like a baby, declaring I'm almost a decade into this art thing: keeping on hammering the fundamentals, working on them, churning more pieces that I could've and still, there was absolutely nothing that went my way.

Basically what that guy said was I should just quit art altogether. No company will ever hire me and better to spare myself from that misery.

Writing this down, I still don't have the right words to process that small exchange I had. I consider that person a friend, so I didn't feel it was mean-spirited. It was a real exchange, probably even a nice wake up call. To this day, I still ask myself from time to time this hypothetical question I don't have a definite answer to: Is it still worth it to do draw and improve my craft even if I am bound to fail forever?

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it possible to make yourself enjoy art? - by John - 05-18-2017, 10:55 PM