BD's Sketchbook?http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8844.html
(05-04-2020, 12:59 AM)darktiste Wrote: Actually i don't know your artistic level yet but a ''good practice'' as a beginner artist is to create mileage.To go slow and to absorb what you read and to draw the illustration you see in the book or do the suggested exercise they propose.

Here a post i made a long time ago to isolate problem in one person attitude toward drawing.I hope you can use it as a trampline.

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4785.html
(05-04-2020, 04:20 AM)Zorrentos Wrote: darktiste had some very good points!

I think this is looking quite good so far! You are filling up sketchbooks nicely, witch is always a good start.

I suggest that you start to try and take the classes a bit more slowly. Absorb as much knowledge as possible and try to replicate it from your imagination, then go back and see where you vent wrong!

Good luck, and hope you keep posting! :)
I agree! I just had to go through them really quickly to see what they were about and how the dots connect, I was too curious to take my time haha. Today I started going slowly (well, the normal pace) through Drawabox, but I think I'll space the homework out over a few sessions since it's very tedious.

That is a great post, btw darktiste. I really love reading about the philosophy behind the art creation process.

I took Uncomfortable's 50/50 principle (half your art should be studies and at least half should be you having fun) to heart though haha, so I also did something I found really enjoyable. Today I went with a lot of stuff as my fun side-dish. I did a lot of quick (<5min) and medium? (5~15) minute face constructions, for example. Here are the 3/4 and one frontal-from-above heads

[Image: Dgqg1gf.jpg]
I also drew several tattooed women from reference but I forgot to take a picture haha; it's visible through the paper on this picture though.

Also had a lot of fun doing experiments with hatching and light.

[Image: dGE0nNZ.jpg]
I basically figured out (for now) what my brain seems to think is cool in terms of value selection and stuff. I was really inspired by Cesar Santos' video "How to See Values", and some other painting value videos on Youtube (whose authors I forgot haha). I really like cross hatching and it's one of the things I can spend hours doing, so I tried to replicate some of his ideas in line (how successful I was, I cannot tell). I also really like JC Leyendecker's graphical solutions for backgrounds that give a lot of contrast but look very hatchy, so I did more of that (I already attached one pic here with that, with the man with the mask).

These last portraits took me a bit more to make, about half an hour each, from photo reference. Since the photos I looked at weren't high contrast, I made up the lighting scenarios to varying degrees of success haha. I'm not good at likeness of subject yet: top left is supposed to be Kim Jung Gi, but I am not feeling it from the drawing. Maybe tomorrow it will look clearer.

The previous photos, and these ones as well, have been edited a bit so they may look grainy. This is because I draw with 4H pencils and use HB for the darkest darks. I guess I just really like hard pencils, but they also don't wear out quickly so I don't have to sharpen them. If I figure out a better post-processing method so that they don't look grainy, I might go and re-take the photos. For now, this will do.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by bonjidogen - 05-02-2020, 03:19 PM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by darktiste - 05-02-2020, 03:34 PM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by bonjidogen - 05-03-2020, 02:26 PM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by bonjidogen - 03-13-2021, 02:29 PM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by darktiste - 05-04-2020, 12:59 AM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by Zorrentos - 05-04-2020, 04:20 AM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by bonjidogen - 05-04-2020, 02:09 PM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by bonjidogen - 05-05-2020, 02:20 PM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by bonjidogen - 05-06-2020, 03:13 PM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by bonjidogen - 05-08-2020, 03:00 PM
RE: BD's Sketchbook? - by bonjidogen - 05-10-2020, 01:58 PM