Coherence and Immersiveness in a made up world/story
For my graphic novel I am thinking about this lately and I am `studying` (which means watching) already existing Animes.
And there is something weird about it, I can not yet tell what the criterions are exactly.

The following I could observe:
Most Animes that I watched have a pretty much completely made up world and rules. For example in many of them magic exists and people are so-and-so `strong` which is completely unrealistic, but in that story it is `realistic` or lets say `believable`.

But there are some Animes, where what the characters do and what happens feels like `yeah, whatever the author wanted to happen, happens, he (the author) can do whatever he wants`.

That is always the case (that the author can do whatever he wants), but sometimes it does not feel as arbitrary.

There are Animes, where, even if the characters are able to do things, that do not exist in the real world, it feels like `realistic` in that fictional universe with those rules.

My big question is:
How to create a fictional world/story without everything feeling for the viewer to be completely arbitrary (because everything IS arbitrary, when there is an author coming up with it) ?

I think I identified one cornerstone for a more coherent and realistic feeling about the story
and that is:
there has to be a specific set of rules determined and explained to the viewer, and everything following in that story has to follow those rules.

But still, there are animes, where there is a set of rules and still it feels `too arbitrary` (to me at least) to feel `realistic` or `very immersive`. There are these Animes where I am watching and when they fight, I am thinking "yeah, whatever, they do whatever the author wants, whatever..."
and there are these other ones, where I think "what, no way! That character can do this? woah, he is so strong, what a cool ability!"

So, yeah, do you know anything about this?
Anybody has some useful ressources about this topic?
or anybody already knows the rules for this?
or knows an interview where a famous director told the rules or something?
Thoughts?

Messages In This Thread
Coherence and Immersiveness in a made up world/story - by graphicnovelist - 08-06-2020, 05:37 AM