Creating a fool proof, simple schedule...?!
I'm amateur compared to the rest of you, but I hope my input is okay.

I live with a large family with 10 cats so I really can't plan out any studies, just about anything can go wrong in a day. Since my siblings are either too young or mentally incapable, I'm the go to for most of the chores and problems around the house.

Therefore my plans have to be loose and flexible - for example: today I'd like to get through chapter 2 of "How to Draw" by Scott Robertson, an episode of Dynamic Sketching with Peter Han and some loose gesture drawings of the Croquis cafe models. Unfortunately I know from experience that these will either get very broken up or half assed. Plus I'm booked for tomorrow with a surprise two hour trip and back to help a relative.

In order to combat this most of what I do is at night because all of my chores are done and plus anyone who needs my help is asleep. I don't have a desk, so I clear off my bed and use a wooden board from Lowe's to keep my stuff flat. From there I time myself and when I'm done I like to take a step back and compare what I did to the lesson. I try to study the lines and movements they've made, how they used their pencil. Sometimes I take a picture and that helps me find all the rough spots I need to smooth out.

Most of the artists I like are dead, so I have to use their remaining work to evaluate my own. Though to be honest I have a hard time figuring out what's best to focus on when I look at them. I've found using the artists that inspired them to draw comparisons between them is effective.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creating a fool proof, simple schedule...?! - by typhoneus - 01-16-2021, 02:01 AM