Just testing the waters of this community
I used to be regular poster at CA.org though less known one. Eventually I ended up getting job in games industry (I mostly worked on mobile games). I come back to this forum once every few months and even post something recently but sadly I started to question the idea of having something like public sketchbook thread in the age of AI scraping. Maybe AI just changed my views on sharing images on the internet in general.

I was curious of the origins of this forum and I came across this post on Dave Rapoza blog from 2014:

http://daverapoza.blogspot.com/2014/10/g...arren.html

It started as tight community of around 10 highly motivated people that learned and pushed each other together to do better work. They ended up being successful enough that their careers took off and they focused in the end on their jobs. They left off forum and this initial energy was lost. Where I am going with this?
I think in terms of art communities focused on learning there is some life cycle and also there need to be small amount of right people with common goal. Maybe forum formula is good but nowdays it would work better as something more private, small and while ability to archive is good in the end all that information is just used for the time of learning. After that people move on.

PS. To be honest I am thinking once in a while about starting my own forum style community but it's easier said than done. Maybe some day...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just testing the waters of this community - by Farvus - 01-13-2024, 01:26 AM