Schnee’s sketchbook!
OK I like the last ones, the fat cat in the tuxedo is funny. I think the main thing that can be improved is the background, but you said you are doing a landscape background so that should be nice. I think the white background can be a cool look if it's really intentional and it serves an artistic purpose. In the tuxedo cat one I feel it does. In the others it gives the impression of like dry media on paper because you can see through the paint to the background, which is cool but I'm not sure how intentional that is.

Typically you don't want white showing through your strokes because it can mess up perception of values, your lightest values won't seem as powerful. This is why I usually tone canvases first which a nice color that can complement the subject if it is seen through the paint. For example, on your bear painting, you can see bits of white canvas showing through, and I don't think that really helps the image.

So on the eagle one, you could seal the pencil drawing which fixative, or clear gesso if you want so it doesn't smear, (the drawing looks very good, btw!) and then use a wash of an earth toned paint diluted with water over the whole thing to remove the white. I usually paint an underpainting with the diluted color to indicate shading and values, then let it dry and paint the final colors over that. For example: (I did not paint this, it's just from google images)

This adds a lot of warmth and interest to the colors, even though you will cover up most of it, and it could be a good way to sketch the landscape before committing to it if you aren't too sure.

My other suggestion would be to not use black paint from the tube for the darkest areas, if you are. If you aren't doing that, try to mix more color variety. Again, it's an artistic choice, but typically solid black paint is a very boring color for shadows and looks kind of flat. Instead I would mix a dark color from your other paints which complements the subject, so maybe brown or red.

Finally, you might want to experiment with different canvas for your future pieces. The canvas texture is very visible on these, which is not necessarily a bad thing. But I find it easier to paint details on a smoother canvas, or panel. I don't really like the canvas texture too much. so I sometimes add another couple layers of acrylic gesso over rough canvas before I start (if I have time), because it will fill in those little bumps somewhat and make it a little smoother to paint on. If you tint the gesso it can also take care of the white canvas showing through issue at the same time. It is up to personal preference, but I suggest it as an option because some of your paintings do look like they could benefit from a smoother surface.

Hopefully this is helpful, I'm sorry if it comes off as just telling you what you already know. I'm not too sure your experience level in painting and art in general so maybe these tips are like things you're intentionally avoiding which is fair.

Messages In This Thread
Schnee’s sketchbook! - by schnee_s0up - 02-06-2024, 07:54 AM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by schnee_s0up - 02-06-2024, 10:49 AM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by JosephCow - 02-07-2024, 07:23 AM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by schnee_s0up - 02-09-2024, 04:20 AM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by cgmythology - 02-08-2024, 11:28 PM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by schnee_s0up - 02-09-2024, 05:30 AM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by schnee_s0up - 02-12-2024, 11:57 AM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by Jephyr - 02-14-2024, 05:18 AM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by schnee_s0up - 02-15-2024, 05:49 AM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by cgmythology - 02-17-2024, 12:58 PM
RE: Schnee’s sketchbook! - by schnee_s0up - 02-18-2024, 06:44 AM