Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

@one_two: Bumskee's sketchbook would be so interesting, too. I heard Dave talk about how it inspired him when he was starting out.
@darktiste: Thank you for the source!
@JosephCow: Yeah there are some pages backed up, really interesting. Not quite enough pages to copy his study approach completely, however. So I will have to come up with my own excercises.
@Jephyr: Yes definitely! I will post my progress from time to time.

For this month I have first looked at Dave's old study schedule:

Seeing that he has done Sargent color studies I thought it might be a good idea to do the same thing:

Because I got caught up in details I blurred the next Repin color study so I can save some time:

I then did a male head from a Proko tutorial. Only at the end I looked at Proko's drawing to see the modifications he made on the head to make it more aesthetic:

I also tried some nude female figure drawing from photo ref:

I think if I take the time I can get quite close to copying photos or master paintings. Because I want to create my own illustrations in the end, I think it's also important to practise that using different references. For a fun challenge I asked a friend whose name roughly translates to "sun" what her favourite animal (duck) and flower (baby's-breath) was. I then tried to combine these three elements into a painting which turned out quite slushy I guess :P I think the composition is ok, but I am having a hard time taking the picture from thumbnail to finish. Do you have any ideas on how I can achieve the final finish? I think Dave would say study the fundamentals, so should I just try to draw some girls, ducks and clouds from different angles under different lighting and then try to apply some of that?

Messages In This Thread
Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches - by Neverland Ultra - 02-09-2024, 10:40 PM
RE: Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches - by darktiste - 02-10-2024, 05:14 AM
RE: Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches - by one_two - 02-10-2024, 01:43 AM
RE: Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches - by JosephCow - 02-10-2024, 05:22 AM
RE: Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches - by Jephyr - 02-14-2024, 05:32 AM
RE: Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches - by Neverland Ultra - 03-03-2024, 11:21 PM
RE: Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches - by darktiste - 03-04-2024, 08:54 AM
RE: Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches - by darktiste - 04-11-2024, 06:45 PM
RE: Pen Pineapple Apple Sketches - by maruv - 04-19-2024, 05:27 PM